Futon frame cushioning system.
More foam. More Comfort.
Ultra-Premium Seating Comfort. Unmatchable Sleeping Comfort. It truly is the GEM-IN our line! Compares favorably to *Natural Latex!
- Comfort Level..A unique firmness with an energized center that creates a feel that rivals premium mattresses, even latex mattresses.
- Durability..10-15+ years, designed for everyday use
- Thickness..A TRUE 8" that performs like one twice its size…guaranteed! (16" of goods compressed to fit inside an 8" border)
- Weight..per full size…60 pounds
- Popularity.."The Gem of our line" …for premium mattresses it is #1. This mattress likens the feel and durability of natural latex, but is about one-third the cost of *100% Natural Latex!
- Home Style Use..Amazing comfort as a seat, and unmatched comfort and support as a bed
- Frame Recommendations.. can be used on a bi-fold frame or platform bed
- Otis Grip Strips are highly recommended..one pair
- Overcover..8" box recommended
- Cost..premium prices
The Gemini Futon Frame Cushioning System.
- 100% polyester fabric provides strength to hold the tufting and flexibility for superior cushioning.
- 6" of convoluted 4 pound density foam is the foundation and comfort of the Gemini rests on.
- An FR rayon wrap protects the mattress and gives a clean finished look.
- 10" of superior quality foams provides the ability to keep the mattress looking and feeling good.
- Machine tuft reduces the thickness of the mattress to lock in the look and feel.
*It is important to note that for a product to be a True Latex product (which is actually made from the sap of a rubber tree, so is a rubber product, not a foam product), it will state 100% Natural Latex. Natural Latex could have trace amounts of latex inside, but is not the true thing. The Gemini mattress actually performs like the real thing!
A special blend of Atomic™ Soft Foam Cushioning and "egg-crate" cut super high density Neutron™ High Support Foam Cushioning.
Pressurized Construction - it makes all the difference in the world! The Earth's atmosphere is made up of trillions of cubic feet of air. With automobile tires, compressed air allows you to drive down the highway in smooth comfort… The basic benefit of all 3 (the atmosphere, tires and Otis futons) is pressurization!
PRESSURIZATION IS VALUABLE. PRESSURIZATION IS NECESSARY FOR LIFE. As appropriately pressurized air allows us to breath giving energy to our being, appropriate pressurization of resilient cushioning materials energizes the entire mattress, giving the added strength to better maintain itself with use. *Your mattress is the most important part…make sure you choose a good one!
Bench Built - hand made quality assures uniformity and quality control on each futon.
Box Edges - for a TRUE reading of thickness, 8" or 6"
Overstuffed - generous amounts (approx. 14") of different combinations of highly resilient multi-high-density foam and fiber that create an "inside out" force against the mattress ticking that is necessary for proper and comfortable support, whether sitting or sleeping.
Tape Edge Closure - expert mattress tailoring operation that seals the comfort inside the mattress, insures proper placement of materials in the cover and reinforces the edges to present a clean tailored look instead of a "haphazardly stuffed look."
Compression Lace Tufting - This customized process alone will differentiate an Otis futon from any other! CLT serves to compress, strengthen and control the overstuffed cushioning materials. Our "button-less" tufting process forces the foam, fibers, springs an mattress fabric to work together to create a supportive synergy that produces a comfort level unique to each mattress… bottom line, your mattress will feel as supportive as it did on the first day.
Key Value Messages for Otis Futons
To supply a cushioning product that is of outstanding overall value, which results in the end user being willing to refer Otis Bed to others. The aim for our mattresses is simple. To be as COMFORTABLE as they are DURABLE.
Comfortable - to be as comfy, if not more so than traditional upholstered sofas when being used as a couch. Also, to be flexible and conformable so as not to cause painful, unhealthy pressure points *(which affect circulation to joints and surrounding tissue) for the occasional or every night sleeper. "As a supplier of pressure management therapy mattresses to the health care industry, we feel uniquely qualified to present mattress constructions with these claims."
Durable - While nothing lasts forever, this futon mattress is engineered to keep its shape and resist change in firmness on the edge and other critical sitting and sleeping areas better than any cotton based futon mattress construction.
More resilient top quality cushioning materials.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHEN TALKING ABOUT THICKNESS..
Thickness can be a relative term in the mattress industry! Normally, when someone says this mattress is 8"...it is 8"thick, or if they say it's 10"…you expect to see a ten-inch mattress, not some rounded mattress that is guessed to be about 10" thick basically for marketing purposes only! The only true way to decipher the actual thickness of the mattress is to have a measurable border material (or a boxed edge, like a traditional mattress does). All of our futon mattresses are bench built and are made with a boxed corner and are tape-edged…this is just part of our signature manufacturing process. The bonus is that the "thickness" of the futon is easily deciphered, and it leaves the mattress with a clean tailored look for many years.
More important than the quoted thickness of the mattress, is the quality of the inside ingredients of the mattress. We carry two six-inch thick futon mattresses (Stratosphere and Nova) that are a better value and outperform some of the so-called 8, 9 and 10-inch futons in the market today! All of our futons are reputed to be of "premium quality, or high-tech" that keep their shape for 10-15 years; this is due in part to the quality of the key ingredient in our futon mattresses, which is FOAM. We only use highly resilient (H.D.) foam with densities that are 1.8 pounds per cubic foot or better. Some manufacturers use foam with densities of 1.4 or even worse, 1.2 (this will make a futon have a shortened lifespan, and even worse…damage the image of a futon). DON'T BE FOOLED BY THICKNESS…MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE A GOOD QUALITY MATTRESS, AFTERALL, IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT AND MOST USED PART OF THE FUTON SOFA SLEEPER!
FUTON OVERCOVERS..Standard futon covers were made to fit futons that are 6 inches thick. Standard covers fit our 6-inch thick futons ONLY! Some futon mattresses made with cotton, or cotton and foam, or even innersprings that claim to be 8 or 9" inches thick will still fit inside these standard covers due to the above reasons…but not ours! Our true 8"thick futon mattresses need a true 8" thick cover. If you try to squeeze our futons into a smaller cover it will alter the feel of the futon and make it even harder to bend into the frame. We recommend an 8" box cornered cover!
Grip Strips ARE ALSO A NECESSARY ITEM FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE FUTONS…to keep them in place and sit properly!
Foam is like air:
- Both are made from atoms.
- Both can be pressurized or compressed and held within a container of specific type.
- Both can increase the number of atoms working together without increasing the volume they work within.
- with air, increased atoms in a given space will raise pressure values (PSI).
- with foam, increased atoms in a given space will thicken cellular "walls" and raise the density, or weight per cubic foot.
- Both depend on an appropriate number of atoms to properly support weight.
- with a tire, pounds of air pressure per square inch (PSI) is the key measure of the number of atoms present in a given volume of air. Increasing the number of atoms increases PSI.
- foam density, or pounds of material per cubic foot, is the key measure of the number of atoms present in a given volume of foam. Increasing the number of atoms increases density.
- Both can "leak" support.
- a hole in a tire can bring about an immediate loss of pressure and weight bearing capacity.
- foam leaks support imperceptibly, and is caused primarily by an inadequate amount of atoms working together to accomplish the task they are being asked to do (i.e. inadequate density).
- Both can be greatly effected by changes in the percentages of atoms present in a given mixture.
- air with a 50/50 hydrogen, argon blend would be tough to breathe indeed.
- the increased or decreased presence of hydrogen "reacting" sites can point to a foam of more or less firmness and rigidity.
- Both are recyclable.
Foam is unlike air:
- Foam is a visible compound.
- Foam does not automatically become firmer as the number of atoms increases within the same volume.
- Foam is smooth and uniform in shape.
- Foam absorbs body weight (heavier parts sink in further).
- air displaces body weight.
- Foam cannot increase or decrease the number of atoms, to become more or less firm once it is formed.
"Remember, everything is UPS-able; finally, shipping is made easy!"